The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

General name change information
Who to advise after changing your name by Deed Poll

After changing your name by Deed Poll, you need to notify the government departments, companies and organisations that hold your personal records (these are known as record holders).  Major record holders such as HM Passport Office, the DVLA and the financial institutions you have dealings with will want to see either your original Deed Poll document or a legal copy of it (legal copies can be obtained as part of our Legal Copy and Archive Service).  Most other record holders will accept a photocopy of your Deed Poll.

If you have changed the name of your child, you will also be required to provide evidence that everyone with parental responsibility has consented (usually by way of showing the letter of consent you sent to us, which will be returned when we post your Deed Poll documentation to you).

Listed below are many of the record holders you need to advise of your name change.  Your Deed Poll Pack will contain a more comprehensive list together with notes about how to notify each record holder.

Inland Revenue for tax and NI records.
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority (driving licence and vehicle registration document).
HM Passport Office (to apply for a new passport).
Building Society.
Mortgage provider.
Utility companies (water, sewerage, electricity, gas).
Telephone company.
Mobile telephone company.
Local authority (council tax and register of electors).
TV Licensing office.
Credit card and store charge-card companies.
Finance/loan companies.
Premium Bond office.
Investment companies.
Companies you have shares in.
Pension company.
Insurance companies (e.g. motor, medical, life, endowments, buildings, contents, extended warranties etc).
Mail-order companies.
Motoring organisations.
Professional institutes and bodies.
Clubs, societies and associations.
Internet Service Provider.
Social media websites.
Police (if you have any criminal actions against you or are on the Sex Offenders' Register).

Please note, it is not possible to change your name on your marriage, adoption or decree absolute certificates. In certain cases, you may be able to get your birth certificate re-issued or amended. See our page Can a birth certificate be changed for further information.

Last updated: 4 January 2014

How to apply

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright © UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.