The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

General name change information

It is a common misconception that it is possible to change your name simply by using your new name.  There is much written on the Internet and elsewhere saying there is no need to follow any formal procedure if you wish to change your name.  However, this advice is no longer correct.  Certainly, changing your name "by usage" was relatively easy before government departments, companies and organisations began taking personal identity and security issues more seriously following the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the recent increase in identity theft.  With few exceptions, you will now find you will be asked for "documentary evidence" of your name change if you want the name that appears on your official documents and records changed to a different name.

Documentary evidence is a term used to describe a document that will allow you to get the name on your documents and records changed to a different name with record holders such as government departments, companies and organisations.  Such documents are:
  • Marriage Certificate
    Allows a women to change her surname to her husband's surname (and vice versa).
  • Civil Partnership Certificate
    Allows one partner's surname to be changed to the other partner's surname.
  • Decree Absolute Certificate
    Usually allows a divorcee's surname to be changed to the surname before marriage.
  • Dissolution Order
    Usually allows a person's surname to be changed to the surname before entering into a civil partnership.
  • Death Certificate
    Usually allows a widow's surname to be changed to the surname before marriage or civil partnership.
  • Adoption Certificate
    Allows an adopted child's surname to be changed to the adopted parents' surname.
To change your name for any other reason, you need a document that provides evidence that you have changed your name.  A Deed Poll is such a document and it will enable you get all your official documents and records changed to your new name, including your passport, driving licence, bank account, medical records etc.

It should be noted that there are certain documents that you can never get changed because they are "matter of fact" documents i.e. they are historical records of the facts when issued.  Such documents are a birth certificate (see Can a birth certificate be changed for exceptions), marriage certificate, adoption certificate, civil partnership certificate and a decree absolute certificate.  Also, it is very unlikely that you will be able to get documents such as educational certificates changed because they show the correct name when they were issued.

Last updated: 27 April 2011

How to apply

Next article

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright © UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.