The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

Services for previous clients
How to apply for a replacement Deed Poll

If you have lost your original Deed Poll and you did not return it to us for archiving (as part of our Legal Copy and Archive Service™), all you can do is apply for a new Deed Poll.  This is the accepted practice and we issue Deed Polls every day to people who have lost their original.

If you did return your Deed Poll to us for archiving, we will be able to issue a legal copy of your original Deed Poll.  To order a legal copy of your archived Deed Poll please click herePlease note, if you ordered your Deed Poll from us before May 2000, we will not have your Deed Poll archived because before this date the archive service was not available.

If you need to apply for a new Deed Poll to replace your lost Deed Poll, please read the following:

If you are 16 years of age or over
To apply for a replacement Deed Poll, the easiest way to order (if you can pay by debit or credit card) is to call our Helpline.  Alternatively, you can apply for a replacement Deed Poll by clicking here.  However, before applying, please read the section below titled Completing your application form.

Applying for a child (who is under 16 years of age)
To apply for a replacement Deed Poll for a child, who is still under 16 years of age, you can apply online or by post (please click on one of these two links).  Before applying, please read the next section.

Completing the application form
If you have not changed your name since changing your name using the Deed Poll you have lost, when you enter your name details on the application form, you should enter your former name in the current name boxes and your current name in the new name boxes.  The idea is to replicate the name change shown on your lost Deed Poll document.

Please note, if you are applying for an Adult Deed Poll, we can modify your replacement Deed Poll to include a declaration that states you have been using your current name for all purposes since a particular date.  If you would like this modification made, which we recommend, please complete section 5 of the online application form.  We need to know how and when (at least the year) you originally changed your name.  This modification explains to those you show your replacement Deed Poll to that it is not for a new name change.

If you have changed your name since changing your name using the Deed Poll you have lost, please email us with the details (when and how) of all your name changes and we will advise you how to complete the application form.  Alternatively, call our Helpline for advice (see top right of this page for our Helpline's numbers and hours).

Previous client fee reduction
As a previous client, you are eligible for a fee reduction of 10.  If you apply for your replacement Deed Poll by telephone, please tell us you are a previous client.  If you apply online or by post, there is provision on the application form to claim the fee reduction.

Last updated: 23 April 2011

How to apply  

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.