The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.  From a landline call 0800 448 8484 (calls are free of charge).  From a mobile call 0333 444 8484 (standard rate charges apply).

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page

General name change information
An alternative to marriage

The economic uncertainty brought about by the recent recession and the government's cuts to public services has resulted in many cohabitating couples saving or postponing the expense of getting married, or entering into a civil partnership, by one of the couple changing their surname to their partner's surname by Deed Poll.

In particular, during the past two years, we have seen a huge increase in the number of cohabitating unmarried women changing their surname to their partner's surname and changing their title to Mrs to give the appearance (by name and title) that they are married.  There is nothing wrong with doing this and thousands of women have done so.  With over 25 per cent of children now born to cohabitating couples in the United Kingdom, many consider all family members sharing the same surname essential for feeling part of the family unit.

It is important to bear in mind that changing your surname to your partner's surname does not change your marital status, neither does it change the legal position between you and your partner.  Although the government is looking at giving cohabitating couples the same legal rights as married couples and civil partners, until the law changes, couples living together have hardly any rights compared with married couples and civil partners.

Similarly, changing your title does not change your marital status.  If you are a single woman and you change your title to Mrs, your marital status remains as single.

So, contrary to this article's title, from a legal point of view changing your surname to your partner's surname is not an alternative to marriage.  For information and advice about your legal rights as a single person living with your partner, we recommend you click on this link (opens new window) to read the publication Living Together published by the independent organisation AdviceNow.  We believe it is important that you understand your legal position and rights.

If you decide to change your name (and title), please click on the How to apply link below to read a summary of the Deed Poll process and the ways you can apply to us for your Deed Poll documentation.

Last updated: 18 June 2011

How to apply

Next article

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright © UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.